Historic Sealy
 

Historic Sealy
  Landmark Buildings of Sealy

Throughout the city of Sealy you'll find all sorts of period architecture.
From the many victorian  homes on oak-lined streets to downtown business buildings of all sorts,
our daily life still meanders about our architectural history.

Preibisch Building

German immigrant Adolph H. Preibisch and his wife Emilie came to Austin County in 1860. After the town of Sealy developed along the Gulf, Colorado and Sante Fe Railroad, the Preibisches bought property in the new railroad town. In 1885, they purchased these lots and hired brick mason John Colleton to construct this commercial building for them in 1886-1887. Colleton’s brickyard in nearby Bellville, where he fired bricks from Brazos River clay, was the source of material for many of Sealy’s early buildings. Sited on a prominent corner lot, the Preibisch building first housed Preibisch’s own store, in which he sold household & kitchen furniture, window shades, rugs, carpets and other manner of household goods. As was the practice with many early furniture dealers, Preibisch also made and sold funeral caskets from his store.

The family continued to run the store after Adolph died in 1899. After Emilie’s death in 1905, their son W. W. Preibisch took over the business. Later tenants of the Preibisch building included a general merchandise store, grocery store, jewelry & gift shop, and a saloon/pool hall known as “My Place” which served as a setting for several motion picture films and advertisements. The building remained in the Preibisch family until 1946.

Preibisch Building

The one-part brick commercial structure, which features arched window and door openings and corbelled brickwork, is significant for its association with the early commercial development of Sealy and remains an important part of Sealy’s architectural heritage.

Historical Marker approved 2001
Designated “RTHL” – Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
207 Main Street, at the corner of Main and Fowlkes, Sealy

 

Liedertafel Hall

Liedertafel Hall
In 1914 a German singing society built this hall on land donated by the Lux and Kinkler families. It was built for the purpose of a gathering place for plays, concerts, dancing and the likes.

In 1944, the Sealy Volunteer Fireman's Association purchased the Liedertafel for the annual Fireman's Frolic and other local social affairs. The building became known as the Firemen’s Hall.

 

In June 1945 the new “Firemen’s Hall" opened with a celebration, The Houston Post reported 5,000 attendees at the “Fireman’s Frolic.” The firemen donated the hall to the Sealy Historical Society in 1995 and renovations began that year. Currently leased and operated by the City of Sealy.

For information call the City of Sealy
at 979-885-3511 or visit their City of Sealy web page.

Liedertafel Hall pole
 

Downtown Sealy

Texas Theatre .

.

     

 

 
 
©2007-2011 Sealy Convention and Visitors Bureau | 309 Main St., Sealy, Texas 77474 | 979-885-3222 | Fax: 979-885-7184
Send mail or E-Mail Us with questions or comments about this web site. Website design by JerryOlsonDesign